Filey Archive - Exploring Filey's Past
Exploring Filey's Past
The Social History of Filey
From Stage Coach to Scarborough and District
John Paul Jones
The Fashion of Filey
Pierrots
A7
A8
A9
A10
A11
A12
A13
A14
A15
 
Crimlisk Fisher Archive
c/o Council Offices
Filey
North Yorkshire
YO14 9HE

Tel: (01723) 514498
Email:
ejpind@aol.com
Exploring Filey's Past - Supported by Filey Town Council


The town is well drained and lighted with gas, which was introduced in 1853; and is supplied with pure water, principally from springs on the Wold hills, collected in a large reservoir at Hunmanby; in 1859 the two separate companies were incorporated under the title of the Filey Water and Gas Company. A local board of health was established in 1868, and has effected very great improvements. The church of St. Oswald is an ancient cruciform structure in the Norman and Early English styles: it consists of nave, aisles, north and south transepts, chancel, and west gallery, with a large square embattled tower rising from the intersection, in which are 3 bells: the nave, which is the most ancient part of the church, is divided from the aisles by six Pointed arches resting on piers, which are alternately circular and octagonal, except the two most western, which are clustered like the four pillars that support the tower, the clerestory windows are all semicircular lights in the chancel are sedilia and a piscina; there is also a sedile in the south transept, and many monuments and inscriptions; in 1839 the church underwent considerable repairs, at a cost of about 1,500; it is situated on the summit of a rugged steep, which is separated from the opposite ground by a chasm, through which runs a stream dividing the East from the North Riding; the church being in the North Riding, and the town in the East Riding. The register dates from the year 1573. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 110, in the gift of the Rev. R. Brook and Major Mitford, and held by the Rev. Thomas Norfolk Jackson, M.A., of Christ's College, Cambridge. A church, to be named St. John the Evangelist, is in course of erection at New Filey, it is in the Geometric style of architecture, and is a cruciform structure, consisting of nave and chancel, with transepts: the cost will be about 3,000, raised by grant and subscription: the east window is of stained glass, to the memory of the late Admiral Mitford. Here is a National school for boys and girls, which is supported by subscription. The Wesleyans have a day school which is conducted on the Glasgow training system. The Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1839, a handsome Gothic building capable of seating 800 personals about to be erected. The Wesleyan school is a neat ornamental building of Gothic character; it contains two large school rooms, capable of accommodating nearly 300 children, with a teacher's residence; the instruction is conducted by two certificated trained teachers from the Westminster Normal Training Institution. The Primitive Methodists are also erecting a neat and much larger chapel. The charities of the parish are very small. The magistrates' sittings are held at Bridlington. Here are free, circulating, and subscription libraries, also warm and cold salt water baths. The Spa well is situated on the cliff a little north of the town. A small market for butter, poultry, meat, and vegetables is held here on Fridays. A lifeboat has been stationed here since 1823. The chief landowners are Major Mitford and Mrs. Brooke; the former is lord of the manor. The area of the parish, including the sea coast, is 3,628 acres; the population of Filey township in 1871 was 2,267, and the area is 968 acres, gross estimated rental, 10,658; and rateable value, 8,773. The parish consists of the townships of FILEY, GRISTHORPE and LEBBERSTON; the two latter being in the North Riding.